(urth) planetary problems

Jordon Flato jordonflatourth at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 10:57:53 PST 2010

I'm certainly not of a mind to believe the reason the Rajan ends up on Urth
is purely metatextual.  Any metatextual layer in these books must surely be
accompanied by a more direct narrative link.  However, there is certainly a
theme in Long Sun/Short Sun of the power of stories, and the Rajan/Horn
demonstrates that he can enter the stories of others (Fava in her story of
her youth on green(?) and the Grandmother).  The nature of dream travel
seems at once figurative and literal.  However, I feel like it has to have
elements of both, not one or the other necessarily.

I'll admit that when I first read Short Sun I was fully expecting to find
that Green and Blue were Urth and Lune.  I looked hard for evidence to
support that.  I just don't think much of what has been presented is that
compelling.  Mostly because I just don't see the purpose of it, in terms of
the large thematics (and the notion of 'you can't go home again', while a
good thread to follow, is subsumed by much stronger themes, in my opinion,
which makes a theory like matching Urth to Green in order to fulfill the
'can't go home' theme a stretch too far).

Why does the Rajan end up on Urth?  Some people point to the Duke, which is
a likely element, but what about Oreb/Scylla?  Am I completely off base and
misremembering here?  Wouldn't Scylla's desire to return to Urth be a
powerful element of changing course from Green to Urth?  Syclla and the Duke
just seem like such likely and comprehensible (What, in a Wolfe story???)
explanations, that to me pretzling around to find out a way for Urth to be
Green (or Blue!) is unnecessary.

What is the link then between Blue/Green and Urth/Lune?  Well, on a
certainly level, for me, it is mostly thematic.  They left a world destined
to be flooded, and landed on a world post flood (clearly Blue was the
subject of flooding at some point in it's past).  Megatherians on Blue and
Urth seem to have a connection.  To me, it is just i irresistible to
conclude that the Mother is connected with Scylla/Erebus/Abaia and also to
the consciousness contacted by the Cumean.  Is it possible Blue had it's own
version of a Conciliator in the past?  How ironic that if the Cumean was
attempting to contact an old consciousness on Blue, a planet which may have
already seen it's own 'conciliator' facilitated flood, she was doing so in
the presence of Urth's conciliator.  Who's to say that the consciousness
contacted on Blue by the Cumaen (in this unlikely scenario) didn't recognize
that fact, seeing Severian for what he was?  Anyway, that's a riff of
another color.