(urth) Dionysus, the mausoleum

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Mon Dec 20 11:41:20 PST 2010

> Marc Aramini -
> My big big big question that needs resolving ASAP is how are Severian
> and Typhon related?  Silk is Typhon's real biological son, of this I
> am 99.9% certain (not a clone).
> Silk takes Typhon's daughter Scylla in Oreb back to Sev's childhood
> mausoleum, which winds up being the crypt of some of Typhon's family.
> But that is the same mausoleum where Severian used to see his face
> when he was a child.  SO how is Severian related to Typhon's family,
> that his face is immortalized in their family resting place?

1) It was pretty well proven to me that the mausoleum the Rajan and
Cilinia visit was not Severian's (which strikes me as odd). Wolfe might
have made errors describing the tomb, but it would be cheating to assume
that.

2) FWIW I believe that Silk is a clone of the son of Typhon and Kypris --
In an online discussion with readers at the Sci-Fi channel website,
someone asked Wolfe to clarify Silk's /ancestry/. NOTE: Not his
parentage or heritage but his "ancestry". Wolfe replied that "Silk was
"the son of the Calde and his mistress". That is an incomprehensible
answer, knowing what we know, unless Wolfe were referring to Typhon and
his mistress. It was this answer that convinced me that Tussah was a
clone of Typhon.

I think Silk is probably Fish from the story of Frog. I also strongly
suspect Fish was a clone of Typhon, which explains the direct
associations between Silk and Pas throughout The Book of the Long Sun.

u+16b9