(urth) (no subject)

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 03:19:16 PST 2010

> Son of Witz-
> Why create a fictional universe if it is fundamentally the same as our own?
> Well, are you sure that our universe is cyclically recreated in the same pattern again and again?
> Are you sure that we shaped a race of beings that in turn shapes us?
> I'm not sure, but I think it's probably true.Anyway, I don't have the quote, but somewhere Wolfe said something to the idea that he wrote New Sun to explore the ramifications of his beliefs.

You know, just because someone has beliefs does not mean that the
fictional worlds they create need to be in line with those beliefs.
Fundamentally, The Book of the New Sun is fantasy literature. The
setting and history Silmarillion does not align with the Bible either.
I'm sure there are plenty of materialist atheists who write stories
about elves and giants.

u+16b9