(urth) (no subject)

Son of Witz Sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org
Thu Dec 16 07:26:11 PST 2010

On Dec 16, 2010, at 3:19 AM, James Wynn <crushtv at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Son of Witz-
>> Why create a fictional universe if it is fundamentally the same as our own?
>> Well, are you sure that our universe is cyclically recreated in the same pattern again and again?
>> Are you sure that we shaped a race of beings that in turn shapes us?
>> I'm not sure, but I think it's probably true.Anyway, I don't have the quote, but somewhere Wolfe said something to the idea that he wrote New Sun to explore the ramifications of his beliefs.
>
> You know, just because someone has beliefs does not mean that the fictional worlds they create need to be in line with those beliefs. Fundamentally, The Book of the New Sun is fantasy literature. The setting and history Silmarillion does not align with the Bible either. I'm sure there are plenty of materialist atheists who write stories about elves and giants.
>
> u+16b9

This is soooooo obvious it does not need pointing out.
I think BotNS explores many deeply felt philosophical ideas of ideas of it's author.
If you don't, make of it what you will.  There are some neat action scenes and weird characters to be found amidst all the endless philosophical and theological musings if you don't think that stuff matters.
~witz