(urth) christ, again

Son of Witz Sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org
Wed Dec 15 11:33:10 PST 2010

On Dec 15, 2010, at 10:17 AM, "Gerry Quinn" <gerryq at indigo.ie> wrote:

>> I think that, for a universe apparently without a Christ, Pan is as close to the true religion as one can get.
>>
>> Since the Pope is lucky enough to live in OUR universe, he can sleep soundly.
>
> I don't think there's any special reason to think Severian's universe is without a Christ.  There is substantial evidence that it's history is similar to ours.  In BotLS there are notable religious references, including some to Christ.

Come on already!
This all goes away if you understand Jesus of Nazareth as an instantiation of Christ which theologians name Logos, and you avoid understanding the logos only through the lens of Jesus.
Severian seems, to me, an instantiation of the Logos in BotNS.
But even without going that far, the only way you can deny Christ in Briah is if you deny that the Outsider is a real diety. I don't remember anything that bursts the idea that the Outsider is a real god. He is clearly meant to be Logos, and clearly Jesus of Nazareth stories have been attributed to him.
~witz