(urth) (no subject)

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Wed Dec 15 10:17:01 PST 2010

From: "David Stockhoff" <dstockhoff at verizon.net>

>I think that, for a universe apparently without a Christ, Pan is as close
>to the true religion as one can get.
>
> Since the Pope is lucky enough to live in OUR universe, he can sleep
> soundly.

I don't think there's any special reason to think Severian's universe is
without a Christ.  There is substantial evidence that it's history is
similar to ours.  In BotLS there are notable religious references, including
some to Christ.

One *can* argue that these references somehow come from another universe,
but it seems a bit of a stretch.

As for the green man, I think he needs no more symbolic overloading than the
two obvious meanings: the most significant being that he comes from a future
with lots of sunshine, and a possible second is that in this ideal future
Man may not need to kill, or till the ground, to eat.  Which is good, I
suippose, although I'm not sure to what extent.  I guess it depends what you
get up to in the time saved, and how you feel about carnivory.

- Gerry Quinn