(urth) christ, again

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes danldo at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 11:41:58 PST 2010

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 11:33 AM, Son of Witz
<Sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org> wrote:

> Come on already!
> This all goes away if you understand Jesus of Nazareth as an instantiation of Christ which theologians name Logos, and you avoid understanding the logos only through the lens of Jesus.

This is extremely poor (Catholic) theology. The Person named Jesus,
the Christ, is and must be unique across all Universes. The birth of
Jesus is the origin-point of the eternal Logos, the Theanthropos and
son of the Theotokos.

> Severian seems, to me, an instantiation of the Logos in BotNS.

Wolfe is very firm that this is NOT the case.

>From the James Jordan interview
(http://mysite.verizon.net/~vze2tmhh/wolfejbj.html): "I don't think of
Severian as being a Christ figure; I think of Severian as being a
Christian figure. He is a man who has been born into a very perverse
background, who is gradually trying to become better."

> But even without going that far, the only way you can deny Christ in Briah is if you deny that the Outsider is a real diety. I don't remember anything that bursts the idea that the Outsider is a real god. He is clearly meant to be Logos, and clearly Jesus of Nazareth stories have been attributed to him.

The Outsider is the Christian God, to be sure, and the stories
analogous to those of Jesus are attributed to "a fortunate man whom
the Outsider had both enlightened and possessed" -- an Jesus-analogue
in the Briahtic Universe.

--
Dan'l Danehy-Oakes