(urth) (no subject)

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Wed Dec 15 00:27:10 PST 2010

On 12/14/2010 8:07 PM, Lee Berman wrote:

>> Jeff Wilson: There is a possibility that the Green Man is meant to suggest this happens
>> in the distant future of Ushas. If his people are fed internally by their symbiotic algae and
>> no longer must rely on the yearly success of crops or catch, they no longer must sacrifice to the
>> four gods, and may live directly from the light of the Sun, with likewise no intercessors between
>> themselves and God.
>
>> Son o' Witz- Yes, I agree that is is essentially what The Green Man symbolizes. He says nearly as much
>> quite plainly. They are a humanity of non-torturers.
>
> I lean in this interpretive direction also. But The Green Man is a significant alternate name for the pagan
> horned god, Great God Pan, etc. Is Wolfe suggesting this is the ultimate and true, unified god of Briah?

No. Or at least, only in the sense that that is as far as pagans have
gotten to the true godhead, at least in Wolfe's opinion. I'm sorry that
I slipped up and capitalized him, I usually leave the green man lower
case to empahsize that he's not a unique being, just the only one of his
kind that appears in the story. There are many green men in the Ushas
future, perhaps even everyone at some point is green.

This pagan-y future rapproachment with the godhead may also suggest that
Wolfe believes that Catholicism itself can usefully evolve toward
greater conformity with God's wishes in ways that celtic paganry has
already. What those ways might be, I couldn't guess atm.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >