(urth) Faterh Inire Theory cont.

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Tue Dec 14 06:41:47 PST 2010

On 12/14/2010 8:08 AM, Lee Berman wrote:
>> >David Stockhoff- Jonas stopped being a meat man when he was wounded. That has always seemed clear to me.
>
> Doesn't sound very Wolfean to me. It would be like Severian stops being Thecla (although that does seem to
> happen in UotNS for auctorial/authorial purposes (Antonio has taught me the latter is a word).  Thecla is a
> partial author of BotNS). Does Silk or Horn ever stop being part of SilkHorn? I dunno.
It doesn't sound Wolfean for a character to suffer a wound and
subsequently experience a different set of memories or personality traits?

>> >Perhaps the personalities went back and forth for a bit afterward, and it was indeed the meat man who spoke of
>> >drop ceilings. The Jonas who led Severien to the metal door was a metal man. I don't see that it matters much
>> >in terms of the shippiness of the architecture.
>
> Gr. don't have my books with me, but IIRC, the man from whom Jonas got replacement parts was from Urth, a
> ground casualty of the crash, not a shipmate. Have to check later.
Yes, it was. it may have been a country villlager, for all we know.
Recall that Severian thought Jonas a peasant because of his folksy
speech, but that was actually sailor's speech. If his ship did crash
near the House, his meat memories could be those of a servant of the
House---perhaps one who knew of the mirrors. I don't see why Metal Jonas
could not access Meat Jonas's memories.

>> >The teratoid glyph plainly connotes DANGER: MONSTERS
>
> Perhaps I should be more clear. It is the "monster" part which is important because it connects monsters and
> mirrors, which connects Father Inire to another character.
>
> A DANGER sign seems silly. Would Father Inire really expect wanderers to accidentally happen upon his chambers
> without his knowledge and to require a sign so that they would avoid any harm? I think Father Inire's architectural
> designs work so that only those who are meant to discover and enter his chambers will discover and enter them.
Of course you think that, with no evidence whatsoever. ;)

I take the glyph as a joke, a parody of our "ionizing radiation" symbol.
Our civilization posts those; Inire's posts "Monsters" signs. Their
technology is perhaps more blatantly dangerous than ours.

Yes, the denotation of the symbol is important: Here Be Monsters.
Because monsters can come out of the mirrors.

The connotation remains DANGER.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 101213-1, 12/13/2010
Tested on: 12/14/2010 9:41:47 AM