(urth) Faterh Inire Theory cont.

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 14 05:08:11 PST 2010

>David Stockhoff- Jonas stopped being a meat man when he was wounded. That has always seemed clear to me.

Doesn't sound very Wolfean to me. It would be like Severian stops being Thecla (although that does seem to
happen in UotNS for auctorial/authorial purposes (Antonio has taught me the latter is a word).  Thecla is a
partial author of BotNS). Does Silk or Horn ever stop being part of SilkHorn? I dunno.

>Perhaps the personalities went back and forth for a bit afterward, and it was indeed the meat man who spoke of
>drop ceilings. The Jonas who led Severien to the metal door was a metal man. I don't see that it matters much
>in terms of the shippiness of the architecture.

Gr. don't have my books with me, but IIRC, the man from whom Jonas got replacement parts was from Urth, a
ground casualty of the crash, not a shipmate. Have to check later.

>The teratoid glyph plainly connotes DANGER: MONSTERS

Perhaps I should be more clear. It is the "monster" part which is important because it connects monsters and
mirrors, which connects Father Inire to another character.

A DANGER sign seems silly. Would Father Inire really expect wanderers to accidentally happen upon his chambers
without his knowledge and to require a sign so that they would avoid any harm? I think Father Inire's architectural
designs work so that only those who are meant to discover and enter his chambers will discover and enter them.