(urth) Urth Digest, Vol 76, Issue 82

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Mon Dec 13 08:36:55 PST 2010

> Lee Berman-
> There are no universal truths
> here and context is more important than many would like to admit in their understanding of others' viewpoints.

There _are_ universal truths. Some questions are unanswerable because
Wolfe didn't think of them while writing. But there are single answers
to many open questions. But, I affirm, the same tests cannot deduce them
all. And sometimes...well, I always offer as an example the question
about why Auk kidnapped Hyacinth and why he let her go.

    22. /Why did Auk ... kidnap Hyacinth, and why, subsequently, did he
    let her go?/ -- Because Tartaros had told him to bring a woman. He
    released her as he recovered from his brain injury, was able to
    think more clearly, and realized that Hyacinth was not the woman he
    should bring. (Putting it another way, he released her because
    Tartaros told him to. These answers are not as disparate as they may
    appear.)

Wolfe's answer to that is not derivable from the text even after one
knows the answer. It must in every case have been guessed at before
Wolfe provided the answer. And, I believe, there are answers to
questions unsupposed in his answer--questions that could only be arrived
at from cryptic answers like this.

u+16b9