(urth) Urth Digest, Vol 76, Issue 82

Jerry Friedman jerry_friedman at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 13 09:04:38 PST 2010

From: Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com

>>James Wynn: I mean, I might have just been lucky in picking my interpretation.
>>However, it brings
>>
>>to mind Lee's young woman/crone picture analogy. Or, Stephen King's ink
>>blot/picture of
>>
>>Jesus analogy in "The Shining". When I read it, I said "Oh, Pike, Blood, Rose of
>>Sharon."

Would you mind making the connection for me among those three disparate nouns?
(Not the
connection among the characters.)  Or point me to someplace in the archives?

> Personality conflicts and testosterone levels matter. Even metaphor choice. In
>the past I used the lovers-
> dolphins optical illusion to make my point and failed to make it. But the young
>woman-crone seemed to resonate
> better, probably because as Antonio so aptly noted, she is a shapeshifter.
>Always easier to "believe" in
>
> something we see happening right in front of us.

If we're collecting these, Nabokov was fond of them: "Find What the Sailor Has
Hidden" puzzles, or from
/Pale Fire/:

"In life, the mind
Of any man is quick to recognize
Natural shams, and then before his eyes
The reed becomes a bird, the knobby twig
An inchworm, and the cobra head, a big
Wickedly folded moth."

We're not always that quick even in life.  And of course, most of the time in
life and often even in reading we're
right to read a reed as a reed.

Jerry Friedman