(urth) Who's Right?

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 4 00:33:55 PST 2010

>Witz-ovitch: I'm of the opinion that if these puzzles don't yield real symbolic meat they aren't
>worth pursuing.

Amen brother!

>Witzendez: That being said, the idea that the Katherine he symbolically beheads is is mother is
Roast fucking Beef.  Severian has to destroy Mother Urth.

Far out! That is a great symbolic connection. I don't think I've seen it observed before.

>McWitz: Now, I don't get the Contessa at all. Is she Catherine? It makes some sense. But theories
say she might be the daughter of Valeria and Dux Caducius, but I don't see the evidence.

I think the Dux idea was Borski's. Makes no sense to me either. But the Catherine-Contessa connection
came first from Borski I think. Credit where due.  I think Dave Tallman's elaboration is very nice
though I always manage to put my own spin on things too. I think it was discussed in here last June or
so. Worth posting a recap?