(urth) Who's right?

Andrew Mason andrew.mason53 at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 3 14:35:09 PST 2010

Lee Berman wrote:

> Prior to her elevation by Inire, Agia has been hanging out with a sexually degenerate little guy who came
> from outer space and is good with mirrors.  Within a few hours of meeting Severian, Agia's actions result
> in the theft of the thousand-year old sacred gem of the Pelerines, a trip to Father Inire's creation and
> hangout the Botanic Gardens, some time travel, seeing a couple little bent guys, resurrection of his dead
> grandmother and the death and resurrection of Severian.
>
> That's pretty crazy. And completely weird unless we shift our perception of the events from random occurences
> to a a series of scheduled events, planned by someone with the knowledge, means and ability to do it.

I agree that there's more to Agia than mees the eye. There are a
couple of definite indicators of this: her use of the symbol of the
Jurupari (if that's what it was);  Agilus' ribbons.

But I think there's a more general issue here, turning on what we're
prepared to believe. There are clearly a number of people keeping an
eye on Severian and bringing about some of the weird events that take
place in his life; Inire and the Autarch; Agia (later, after her
brother's death, when she has a clear motive); the undines. But these
people, from what we know of them, don't explain all the strange
coincidences and turns of events that happen. Do we suppose there must
be a deeper (human or alien) conspiracy? Or do we.....

Bilbo was _meant_ to find the Ring; and not by its maker.