(urth) Who's Right?

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 4 00:54:17 PST 2010

>Andrew Mason: I agree that there's more to Agia than mees the eye. There are a
>couple of definite indicators of this: her use of the symbol of the
>Jurupari (if that's what it was);  Agilus' ribbons.

Agilus' ribbons might be connected to the Jungle Sorcerers' masks. Agia uses a
claw weapon much like (perhaps identical) to those of the jungle guys to cut
Severian's face.

(Actually I also find much hidden significance to Agia's other weapons-
the misericorde, the athame and the crooked dagger. I can elaborate if anyone is
interested.)

The Jurupari is a jungle demon. Also a fish known as the earth eater. And there is a
thematic connection between the fish and the demon reminscent of Abaia and undines.

And as mentioned before I am intrigued by how Agia herds Severian around Nessus and the
Commonwealth and her association with a weird little guy from outer space who is clever
with mirrors (Inire-Hethor ambiguity intended).