(urth) God/Increate in the New Sun

Jerry Friedman jerry_friedman at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 2 15:48:15 PST 2010

From: James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com

>>> Son o'Witz- I think it's perfectly clear that the Outsider is Christ or
>>> logos. He's presented as the REAL diety outside of the false Pantheon.

I think so too.

>> Lee-
>> I could be. But I just can't be sure. I have doubts. A similar discussion
>> cropped up recently and I think it was Andrew Mason who pointed to a
>> Christ-figure from a story in Long Sun. He was only a little bit perturbed
>> that in the story, the Christ-figure was a man who was possessed by
>> The Outsider while he was doing his thing in the Temple. I was rather more
>> perturbed. Such possession doesn't sound like the modern Christian
>> God to me and this doesn't seem like a casual mistake Wolfe would make.

>James Wynn-
> It is from the first chapter of Nightside:
> [referring to the merchants] "He would have to be firm with them, extremely
>firm. Remind them that the Outsider was known to
> esteem them last among men already--that according to the Writings he had once
>(having possessed and enlightened a fortunate
> man) beaten them severely in person."
>
>This is of course the story of Jesus casting out the money-changers. The man in
>question was not just possessed, he was possessed >and enlightened. This is
>about as close as someone with Silk's religious training would get to describing
>homoousios.

Someone with Silk's training referring to a story possibly altered by the
Chrasmologists that took place in a universe where the Second Person may never
have been incarnated (probably wasn't, I think) and where stories echo those of
our universe but aren't necessarily the same.

>I wouldn't over-think it.

Can a mailing list have a motto?

Actually, thinking about these things is fun, as Lee reminds us, but I'm also in
favor of remembering the distinction between "resembles" and "is".

Jerry Friedman