(urth) God/Increate in the New Sun

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 19:08:33 PST 2010

> >I wouldn't over-think it.
> Can a mailing list have a motto?

heh heh

> Actually, thinking about these things is fun, as Lee reminds us, but
> I'm also in favor of remembering the distinction between "resembles"
> and "is".

Eh...I suppose. I just think that this quote is like the picture of the
astronaut on the moon or the statue of Blind Justice. The reader is
supposed to recognize it and take pleasure in the recognition. Once
again, people find certain readings viscerally appealing aside from what
is detectable from the text. Personally, I don't get any added enjoyment
from the books by thinking of it them in another universe. And if I did,
I don't get any enjoyment in thinking that Silk's vision of Jesus on the
cross or the references to the Gospel are some sort of analog. If his
must be a different future than my own, I'd prefer to believe that in
Silk's Briah, the Gospels are mythology (delivering a true message from
another universe) and the Outsider showed Silk the crucifixion from
another universe iteration. In short, I enjoyed recognizing the actual
astronauts in front of an actual American flag in tBotNS.

u+16b9