(urth) God/Increate in the New Sun

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 15:30:47 PST 2010

>> Son o'Witz- I think it's perfectly clear that the Outsider is Christ or
>> logos. He's presented as the REAL diety outside of the false Pantheon.
> Lee-
> I could be. But I just can't be sure. I have doubts. A similar discussion
> cropped up recently and I think it was Andrew Mason who pointed to a
> Christ-figure from a story in Long Sun. He was only a little bit perturbed
> that in the story, the Christ-figure was a man who was possessed by
> The Outsider while he was doing his thing in the Temple. I was rather more
> perturbed. Such possession doesn't sound like the modern Christian
> God to me and this doesn't seem like a casual mistake Wolfe would make.
It is from the first chapter of Nightside:
[referring to the merchants] "He would have to be firm with them,
extremely firm. Remind them that the Outsider was known to esteem them
last among men already--that according to the Writings he had once
(having possessed and enlightened a fortunate man) beaten them severely
in person."

This is of course the story of Jesus casting out the money-changers. The
man in question was not just possessed, he was possessed and
enlightened. This is about as close as someone with Silk's religious
training would get to describing homoousios.

I wouldn't over-think it.

u+16b9