(urth) Sham War

Dave Lebling dlebling at hyraxes.com
Sun Aug 8 12:44:42 PDT 2010

I'm not all that certain which specific remarks you are referring to,
but the Cumaean (during the scene in the stone town) talks about how
service to Fr. Inire is a way of keeping a finger in both pies, as it
were. The old Autarch talks about how Erebus would have traded him Ascia
for the Commonweath, if it included Severian. I think his comment about
"you could have both" means, "if you joined Erebus's side."

I don't see a lot that says the war is a sham, just that it's part of a
larger war. Given that the war with Ascia is an analog of the Korean
War, that's hardly surprising. Many details are similar. "We've driven
them back half as far as they drove us south" (paraphrased). The Ascians
are backed by a larger Power that really doesn't care about them. The
war is barely noticed day-to-day at home in the Commonwealth. The
Commonwealth forces are multi-national. Etc. I'm sure none of these
details are new to you, but they all hammer home the Ascian War/Korean
War analogy, in which there is a larger struggle outside that war, but
that war is in itself significant, not a sham.

-- Dave Lebling