(urth) Sham War

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 8 20:49:26 PDT 2010

>Paul B: I'd meant to bring up the quote from Inire's letter to
>the new Autarch in "Citadel" where he talks about getting the Hierogrammates
>to side with "not just the side of Urth, but /our/ side" (emphasis mine).
>That seems to contradict this pretty well.  Unless you'd like to come up
>with a reason for Inire to lie so bluntly.

It is a good point to bring up. I must say that I do not share your assumption
that when Father Inire refers to his "cousins" that this must mean
Hierogrammates. We see F, B and O trying to distribute technology and disseminate
knowledge without malice or prejudice. Prime Directive.

I can't see them beseeching Tzadkiel for more weapons so that one side will win a
petty war on a small planet. This doesn't seem like very divine behavior. Quite the
opposite. And I have quite a few reasons to think that Father Inire has reason to lie
to Severian (an example given in my most recent *Boatman as Inire* post).