(urth) BSG Spoiler

Jeremy Francis francisj at iinet.net.au
Sat Mar 21 21:10:57 PDT 2009

I rarely weigh in on anything on this list but may I share my disgust with
that ending.  It was essentially two hours of "Oh, shit, I've backed myself
into a corner.  How do I get out?"  This leads to some of the more absurd
elements of the episode - the first of which was when Cavil consented to
some sort of treaty based on Gaius' "I see angels!" statement, followed by
Lee's "Atavism for all, enjoy copulating with the mud-smeared natives;
alternatively, contract diseases we'll have no hope of curing," head angel
Kara (who could still fly a Viper and could be seen by all), the shoe-horned
opera "explanation", and the dancing robot montage.  Not to mention so many
people being willing to die to save one half-Cylon little girl.  Might I say
that the "God" in the BSG universe is pretty stupid - so, you can send new
people, who fly real (apparently) Vipers, and the best means of getting
humanity to where they're going is to have Kara remember the coordinates
when she's standing right in front of the FTL console?

"God did it" or "magic did it" out of nowhere is considered a lazy
explanation for a reason.  Though, to be honest, I found "Time to split up,
with few supplies, and not even try to create a civilisation" even more
ridiculous.  I can imagine the fleet members: "I'm a mechanic.  What the
hell do I know about being a hunter-gatherer?  Is it too late to side with
Gaeta?"
Aspiring TV writers: this is why you plan what you're going to write, at
least in general detail, at the start of your series.  See: Carnivale,
Babylon 5, or even Deep Space 9 (which, while not as good as the others, was
fairly cogent).  I've thought since they found the "real" Earth that there
was no convincing way to end this series, and I was right.

At least we got Cavil blowing his brains out, Baltar's "I know a bit about
farming", and Roslin's death, which were all very effective/awesome scenes.
Oh, silly Adama, you can't marry a corpse.