(urth) Babbie

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 12:05:10 PDT 2009

>David Stockhoff:
> You can also think of it as a language. Wolfe is so steeped in myth I bet
> it oozes out his ears. As in language, you have standard words and
> sentence
>structures but you re-order and recombine them to get
>new meaning. So stags and faerie circles may not go together
>in myth (it's usually a pool or glade the stag leads you to),
>but they can meet if you want them to.

In 'The Hobbit', the dwarves see a white "hart" in Mirkwood and and try to
shoot him down but all their arrows go awry. The narrator says that if they
had had their wits about them, they would have realized that their journey
through the forest was almost at an end. Because people usually read that
book as children, this reference goes right by them.  What he is saying is
that the appearance of the White Stag means that they are at the borders of
the kingdom of the Elves...the edge of Faerieland.

J.