(urth) Babbie

John Watkins john.watkins04 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 10:28:34 PDT 2009

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 1:24 PM, David Stockhoff <dstockhoff at verizon.net>wrote:

> Thanks. It gets clearer for me with every iteration as well.
>
> You can also think of it as a language. Wolfe is so steeped in myth I bet
> it oozes out his ears. As in language, you have standard words and sentence
> structures but you re-order and recombine them to get new meaning. So stags
> and faerie circles may not go together in myth (it's usually a pool or glade
> the stag leads you to), but they can meet if you want them to.
>
> I don't know if a Neighbor "occupies" Horn, but it is clear that Horn dies.
> And there is a lot of psyche-sharing through blood in SS---it seems to be a
> motif, like eidolons in NS. It may well be that the Neighbor gave Horn life
> in the only way he knew how, by giving him Neighbor-life---but in Horn's
> memories in Horn's body, because memories are electrical/physical.
> Then the Neighbor went off to continue his own life in his own body, having
> merely imprinted Horn's body with not a copy of himself but with the most
> basic spark of consciousness. Just enough so Horn's body and brain could
> reboot (plus fix his neck!).

> This requires a life-psyche distinction, but not necessarily a soul-psyche
> distinction. We know a body can live while its brain is dead, and that a
> brain can "live" without thought. It makes sense that if the Neighbor
> revived Horn, Horn would only have Horn's memories. However, on some level
> we can't fathom, he may "feel" Neighborish---enough to put 2+2 and realize
> what happened and what he is. So he wouldn't know anything about any ruins,
> but might be drawn to them.

This makes the most sense to me of anything so far.  NeighborHorn is
NeighborHorn, not Neighbor/Horn--he doesn't have the Neighbor's
memories/personality/soul, but does have his life/essence/nature.  He has
Horn's memories/personality/ThomisticSoul, but not anything like Horn's
Platonic/eternal soul, if such things exist in Wolfe's world. He's Horn's
ghost in a Neighbor-enhanced version of Horn's body.