(urth) Babbie

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Fri Mar 20 10:24:25 PDT 2009

Thanks. It gets clearer for me with every iteration as well.

You can also think of it as a language. Wolfe is so steeped in myth I bet it oozes out his ears. As in language, you have standard words and sentence structures but you re-order and recombine them to get new meaning. So stags and faerie circles may not go together in myth (it's usually a pool or glade the stag leads you to), but they can meet if you want them to.

I don't know if a Neighbor "occupies" Horn, but it is clear that Horn dies. And there is a lot of psyche-sharing through blood in SS---it seems to be a motif, like eidolons in NS. It may well be that the Neighbor gave Horn life in the only way he knew how, by giving him Neighbor-life---but in Horn's memories in Horn's body, because memories are electrical/physical.

Then the Neighbor went off to continue his own life in his own body, having merely imprinted Horn's body with not a copy of himself but with the most basic spark of consciousness. Just enough so Horn's body and brain could reboot (plus fix his neck!).

This requires a life-psyche distinction, but not necessarily a soul-psyche distinction. We know a body can live while its brain is dead, and that a brain can "live" without thought. It makes sense that if the Neighbor revived Horn, Horn would only have Horn's memories. However, on some level we can't fathom, he may "feel" Neighborish---enough to put 2+2 and realize what happened and what he is. So he wouldn't know anything about any ruins, but might be drawn to them.

Personally, I suspect that the "trees" somehow summon or project Neighbors, and if multiple trees (say, a circle of them) project one Neighbor, then it makes sense that it would be both multiple (many-legged) and composite. But that's just a hunch.

Message: 3