(urth) Babbie

John Watkins john.watkins04 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 08:19:44 PDT 2009

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 11:12 AM, James Wynn <crushtv at gmail.com> wrote:

>   >Could be...I'm still not sure Pas went into Silk at the end of Long
> Sun.
> >If he didn't, that's just Silk in Silk's body until the Horn-patterned
> Neighbor shows up.
>
> Well, the individual explanations I offer have a way of cascading toward my
> conclusion. It's something that has to be taken as a whole. I recognize
> that.
> If one acknowledges that the Raja is a Neighbor who has reanimated Horn and
> is in some way Horn himself, then it becomes difficult not to say,
> "Hmm...resurrected Horn is a beast with TWO horns. Where does the other horn
> come from?  Silk? How is Silk a "horn" or Horn? It would be tidy to say that
> Horn is one of those special embryos, and a clone of the *same* person of
> whom Silk was, but that's impossible because they don't look alike.
> Horn could once do a good impression of Silk, but his sons don't think he
> looks like him.

I see your point...the third "horn" is Typhon if Horn is a clone of Typhon.
Or Horn's soul--the actual soul of the honest-to-goodness Horn goes into
Babbie, who has two horns already, making three.  I think both are plausible
and I'll pay mind to both in my reread.

I also tend to think, though, that Silk is a powered-up clone of Typhon
rather than Typhon's biological son with "Kypris" or a clone of that son.