(urth) The Politics Of Gene Wolfe

Matthew Keeley matthew.keeley.1 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 12:35:46 PDT 2009

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 12:34 AM, Son of Witz
<sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org> wrote:

> As a complete aside, it's quite interesting to talk about this stuff with
> y'all.  It's too easy to end up in an echo chamber, especially when you live
> in SF.  It's hard to even find self-proclaimed conservatives here.  I'm
> pretty damn liberal, but living in SF long enough will make you gag at some
> of the thoughtless knee-jerk (not to mention arrogant) liberal attitudes.
>
> ~witz

I was in SF a few weeks back and, though I expected it to be very
liberal, I was surprised by some of the goings-on I heard about. The
trip I was on visited Alcatraz. Great, and interesting from a
historical perspective. Only later did I read about the plan - THAT
ACTUALLY MADE THE CITY BALLOT - to tear down the prison and replace it
with a peace center. Only 72% of people in the city voted against it.

http://www.globalpeacefoundation.org/AlcatrazConversion.html

-Matt, too much of a historian to countenance demolishing historic sites