(urth) The Politics Of Gene Wolfe

Tim Walters walters at doubtfulpalace.com
Wed Mar 18 13:54:13 PDT 2009

> Only later did I read about the plan - THAT
> ACTUALLY MADE THE CITY BALLOT - to tear down the prison and replace it
> with a peace center. Only 72% of people in the city voted against it.

The text of the proposition was:

"Shall it be City policy that the City should explore and facilitate the
acquisition of Alcatraz Island from the United States Government to
transform it into a Global Peace Center?"

In other words, it wouldn't have done squat, even if by some miracle it
had passed.

I'm not sure if that makes it more or less ridiculous.

--
Tim Walters | http://doubtfulpalace.com