(urth) The Politics Of Gene Wolfe

brunians at brunians.org brunians at brunians.org
Wed Mar 18 09:36:14 PDT 2009

They are not incredibly useful weapons.

They are very useful for off-planet construction projects.

I can make you a device, for a couple of thousand dollars, that should
yield as much as a tactical nuke (say, 1000 tons of TNT). Maybe ten
thousand dollars.

You use gasoline and liquid oxygen and a little bit of dynamite.

You don't even really need the LOX, but then the mechanism is more
complicated.

Here is a brief discussion of this fascinating class of modern weapons:
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/dumb/fae.htm

.