(urth) The Politics Of Gene Wolfe

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes danldo at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 08:25:22 PDT 2009

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 8:20 AM,  <brunians at brunians.org> wrote:

> The intent of the second amendment is to allow the citizenry to more
> readily defend themselves against the government, when this becomes
> necessary, as it inevitably does.

This is a common myth. In fact, the Second Amendment is the only one
of the Ten that clearly states its purpose -- which is that a well-ordered
militia is essential for "security" of the state. In other words, it isn't about
opposing the government; it's about having the ability to repel invaders
on the spur of the moment.

I myself am deeply conflicted about the Second Amendment. It seems
clear to me that the free access to guns we have now is causing a
huge wave of homicides. But, while I have no desire to own a gun
myself, I insist on the *right* to own one.

********

Meanwhile, this is becoming less and less about Wolfe's politics and
more and more a discussion of our politics. Does anyone have any
strong sense of where Wolfe stands on the tarriff issue?

--
Dan'l Danehy-Oakes