(urth) AEG: Gideon

Dave Tallman davetallman at msn.com
Mon Jan 5 03:21:42 PST 2009

Roy C. Lackey wrote:
> I still wonder who shot Gid or, more to the point, who was behind the
> shooter. Gid had a late breakfast with Cassie the morning after the cast
> party. At about that time, Reis took the poison bracelet back from Margaret.
> Gid was shot early in the afternoon after dropping Cassie off at her
> apartment. Within 24 hours after being shot, he learned that Reis was
> looking for him to give him some help. So did Reis have a change of heart,
> as he did with Cassie, but too late to call off the shooter? Then why lie to
> Cassie about not being responsible for the shooting and tell her that he
> would find out who the shooter was? Also, Reis claimed that he preferred to
> win people over to him, rather than kill them.

Chase told Cassie his best ideas on who shot him on pp. 203-204.
1) He was convinced it wasn't Reis, that Reis only wanted to get him
medical help and enlist him. Chase must have been certain of this or he
wouldn't have been working for Reis.
2) Chase didn't think it was the FBI because: they are better shots,
they only use violence when they have no choice, and they want him alive
and active.

That leaves two other major players, who may be the same: ATF and the
Squiddies. Both use violence without caution: the deaths of Norma Peiper
and Brian Pickens show that. The ATF might be poor shots (if Scott was
lying and Cassie was the intended victim). The Squiddie assassin "Diana
Diamond" was definitely a poor shot (p. 252-253), since she fired
multiple times without killing anyone. She's a good candidate for
Chase's shooter. She admits to killing Brian Pickens, so she was in
Kingsport. I was hoping there would be a description of a facial scar
that could have come from a cleaver, but no such luck. Cthulhu recruits
may heal quickly.

> On a related note, apparently some time during the three-month gap between
> plays, he hired Gid's services at an even higher fee than for a past
> consultation. Exactly what did he hire Gid to do? Deliver Cassie to him by
> buying off Gid's affection for her?

Chase admitted to being hired to deliver Cassie, but not to loss of
affection for her. He  told her he loved her (p. 201). He just seemed to
think Reis was winning in that department, and was surprised by Cassie's
kiss and her offer to let him spend the night.