(urth) AEG: Gideon

Roy C. Lackey rclackey at stic.net
Mon Jan 5 11:09:15 PST 2009

Dave Tallman wrote:
> That leaves two other major players, who may be the same: ATF and the
> Squiddies. Both use violence without caution: the deaths of Norma Peiper
> and Brian Pickens show that. The ATF might be poor shots (if Scott was
> lying and Cassie was the intended victim). The Squiddie assassin "Diana
> Diamond" was definitely a poor shot (p. 252-253), since she fired
> multiple times without killing anyone. She's a good candidate for
> Chase's shooter. She admits to killing Brian Pickens, so she was in
> Kingsport. I was hoping there would be a description of a facial scar
> that could have come from a cleaver, but no such luck. Cthulhu recruits
> may heal quickly.

But Gid saw the shooter and said it was a man. (203)

> > On a related note, apparently some time during the three-month gap
between
> > plays, he hired Gid's services at an even higher fee than for a past
> > consultation. Exactly what did he hire Gid to do? Deliver Cassie to him
by
> > buying off Gid's affection for her?
> >
> Chase admitted to being hired to deliver Cassie, but not to loss of
> affection for her. He  told her he loved her (p. 201). He just seemed to
> think Reis was winning in that department, and was surprised by Cassie's
> kiss and her offer to let him spend the night.

Yes, Gid professed his love for her in his note (216), and he may even have
been sincere, in his fashion. What I meant was that, even at the surface
level, Gid subordinated his regard for her to his ambitions. No man who
really loves a woman is complicit in delivering her  for marriage to another
man. Cassie realized that in her last conversation with him (228), when he
offered excuses for not coming to pick her up in the islands.

Reis didn't hire Gid, at great cost, to chauffeur Cassie to the islands.
Anyone could have done that. Besides, Gid said that he had been hired as a
temporary "consultant". (197) Gid had a reputation for getting things done
that others couldn't do. What did Reis really want from him?

-Roy