(urth) Silk for calde blog: Wolfe thesis

Matthew Weber palaeologos at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 10:10:07 PST 2009

On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 10:01 AM, Dan'l Danehy-Oakes <danldo at gmail.com>wrote:

> Thus, the Church has not and _cannot_ issue an infallible proclamation
> on, for example, the question of married or female clergy. These are
> questions of practice and disicpline, not faith and morals.

This is a bit of a tangent, but I figured it was worth mentioning : I agree
with you that clerical celibacy is a matter of discipline and not doctrine
or dogma.  The ordination of women, though, seems to be of a different
order.  Theologians disagree on whether that's a matter of discipline or
doctrine; predictably, the more progressive claim it's a disciplinary issue
and the more traditional hold that it's doctrinal.  The issue, it seems to
me, is whether the proper matter for the sacrament of Orders is a human
being or a male human being.  Traditional practice and thought on the topic
seems to imply the latter.

There are other provinces and jurisdictions of the Church Catholic which
have always had married clergy (the Roman Rite among them, until the early
medieval era); prior to the late 20th century, I can't think of any church
with a claim to the Catholic tradition that ordained women.

--
Matt +

The Ides of March have come.
Julius Caesar (100-44 B.C.), From PLUTARCH, Lives, Caesar, sec. 63