(urth) Silk for calde blog: Wolfe thesis

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Sat Dec 19 22:13:37 PST 2009

Dan'l,

>>In the end they chose to believe that God and his
>> Church were pure and the Pope and his bishops were damned rather than the
>> other way around.
>
> So there were only two choices? How binaristic.

When you are presented with a choice with existential

>>> Too, they
>>> tossed out bits of Scripture that didn't suit them....
>>
>> I'm curious as to
>> what those bits were.
>
> [The deuterocanon]

Ah! Well, they didn't "toss" the deuterocanon because there was some
theology in them they didn't like ("suit them"). They tossed them because
they considered their origins questionable in the extreme and not included
in the Hebrew canon.

You're entire denunciation of Luther and the "Deformers" is based on a
presumption that that "the Church" is synonymous with the the Roman Church
hierarchy: Therefore, it is *they* (a group that includes the church
leadership 1500 years later and even at its most corrupted) and not the
Apostles who wrote the New Testament. And the authority of those apostles
(you seem to presume) is based on their membership within this group.  But
one cannot view "them" (that group) as such an eternal entity. Otherwise,
where was the Church during the *years* when the leadership was deeply
divided about who was the Pope?

Was it the Roman Church who "wrote" the Bible or the Eastern Orthodox one?
If it was both, why can't the Lutheran Church make the same claim since they
branched from the same root? And if the Reformed Church (not to be confused
with Reformed Catholics) were also that church which wrote the Bible, then
why can't they reconsider the canon of the Old Testament? After all, we're
not talking about vital doctrine to either Christians or Jews. The
harumphing over "tossing out bits of Scripture" seems to have more to do
annoyance at the Reformer's ephrontery rather than concern that the
Scripture was actually losing something vital.

Having lived for a time in Rome himself and having seen concupiscence and
venality as rule among the leadership there, Luther had already dispensed
with the idea that "the Church" could be closely identified with those men.

>> Look, Dan'l, the scandal of Indulgences was not just a bad "practice".
>
> That's _exactly_ what it was.

I repeat:
>> Luther's point was that it struck to the heart of the doctrine of
>> Salvation.

Either the Pope was (and could be) wrong about the doctrine of Salvation and
made existential promises (From The Chair) that he certainly could not
deliver on  -- or he was a pretender: not the *real* head of the "True
Church" (as my Reformed Catholic friends believe is the case now). Luther
believed the first when he nailed he theses to the door, and probably
believed the latter as well by he was debating Transubstantiation with
Zwingli.

> Actually, the concept of papal infallibility didn't even exist at the
> time.
> It was not defined until the first Vatican Council in the 1800s.

The concept was not created at the Vatican Council.

> I don't, entirely. I believe that the Deformation made the real
> reform take _longer_, but it would have been a long road in
> any case.

I'd say they sped it along. I think the RCC made some pretty significant and
good internal reforms due to Reformation. It was also vital to the RCC
making accommodations with Rationalism.  The Reformation was largely a
creature of Rationalism and the printing press. Sola Scriptura would have
been a meaningless platitude without the ability of the masses to easily
obtain Bible's in their own tongue. Perhaps the Church leaders recognized
that, and so kept such a brutal thumb on those who attempted to duplicate
St. Jerome's great feat.

> [Reformed Catholics] are _serious_ heretics. I don't think most modern
> Protestants are really "heretics"; they live in a new orthodoxy
> that happens, in my opinion, to be wrong, but are not damned
> for it.

When most Protestants speak of "orthodox", they are referring to something
akin to Augustinian theology. Luther, Calvin, and 95% of educated
Protestants accept Augustine or near-Augustine as the "orthodox" coin of the
realm. And he's a RC saint. I realize Catholic priests mean something more
extensive by the term and Eastern Orthodox mean something wholly different.
But Augustine is a nice broad tent that even has room for Reformed Catholics
(who in my opinion, are merely doing what you think Luther ought to have
done).

J.