(urth) Gnosticism in BotNS

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Thu Apr 9 10:46:32 PDT 2009

The clarification is not inappropriate. Although I'm not sure where the idea comes from that people think Zoroastrianism is dualistic. Most people have never heard of it. "Manichaean," however, is a synonym for "dualistic."

Manichaeism (Manichean Zoroastrianism) was at least as common as traditional Zoroastrianism by Roman times and was famously dualistic, and was a strong influence on early Christianity and the Christian gnostics, just as non-gnostic and non-dualistic Zoroastrianism was earlier an influence on Judaism.

That was my point. Traditional Zoroastrianism itself has nothing to do with the topic.

Lane's clarification is even more apropos. I had no idea I had stumbled into a hotbed of non-Christian religionologists. I won't dumb it down nest time. But I have used "gnosticism" in the very general layman's sense reflected in Lane's comment that Wolfe pirated a number of obscure beliefs. A number of beliefs may be described as "gnostic."

It is impossible to characterize gnosticism as a uniform belief system, and I don't intend to try. (Nor am I only interested in Christian gnosticism.) I think it's more useful to refer to a set of beliefs, motifs, images, and symbols as "gnostic" and leave it at that.

Message: 2