(urth) Severian / Christ / Logos / Apocatastasis

John Watkins john.watkins04 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 14:53:14 PST 2008

On 11/25/08, Son of Witz <sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org> wrote:

> >Let's not overstate the "ballsiness" required for a Christian to
> >recognize the mythic elements of Christianity and apply them to
> >speculative fiction.  It's been going on for a very long time.
>

> perhaps you're speaking of me dismissively.

I'm not, I'm responding to what you're saying.

> I'm not a Christian. I don't believe in Jesus. I don't think he even existed.

That doesn't especially matter to me, or to my point that Christian
speculative fiction writers have been writing Christian speculative
fiction, reworking elements of Christian myth into their own
mythologies for over a century now.  If you don't believe me, well,
check your local movie theatre or video store.  Tolkien, Lewis,
Charles Williams, George MacDonald, Madelaine L'Engle, J.K. Rowling (I
actually think there's a nod to Wolfe in Deathly Hallows, albeit
subtle)--Wolfe is not some brave, lonely eccentric.  He's part of a
vibrant literary tradition.