(urth) Severian / Christ / Logos / Apocatastasis

Son of Witz sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org
Tue Nov 25 15:27:22 PST 2008

>I'm not, I'm responding to what you're saying.

I see.
sorry. I'm feeling a bit defensive I guess.

>> I'm not a Christian. I don't believe in Jesus. I don't think he even existed.
>>

>That doesn't especially matter to me,

nor me.  No one is interested in my beliefs here.  Everyone's got an asshole - er - opinion I mean.

>or to my point that Christian
>speculative fiction writers have been writing Christian speculative
>fiction, reworking elements of Christian myth into their own
>mythologies for over a century now.  If you don't believe me, well,
>check your local movie theatre or video store.  Tolkien, Lewis,
>Charles Williams, George MacDonald, Madelaine L'Engle, J.K. Rowling (I
>actually think there's a nod to Wolfe in Deathly Hallows, albeit
>subtle)--Wolfe is not some brave, lonely eccentric.  He's part of a
>vibrant literary tradition.

I see,  yes, Wolfe is not Novel in this regard.
I'm familiar with Tolkien and Lewis.  But what I meant about ballsy is how twisted and macabre Wolfe's take is.  If Frodo is Christ (or something), it's hardly twisted. he's good and meek and does his duty.  If the Lion is Christ, well hes just and virtuous and strong (sorry, been a long time since I read Lewis). I mean, there is not much for a Christian to get up in arms about.  But I guarantee if I threw this story at my Catholic relatives, they'd think it much more evil than they think Harry Potter is. (which I've not read, though I expect my son will want me too in a few years. are they any good? I read a page and thought it dull language)

There is a general rejection of Christ in our modern world. I've become fairly sensitive to it as I've come to map what I feel to what others call Christ.  I live in San Francisco, and nearly ALL of the local reviews of the recent Narnia film had something insulting to say about the Christ allegory.  It's like "Christ, ooh, doo doo!" and they turn their nose up.  I can't give too many examples, but I see people running away, and actively rejecting anything that looks Christian, DAILY.  I can reject The Church and the Pope all day long, but what's wrong with Christ?  That our secular world rejects it out of habit seems to show how completely our values are inverted.

I'll be honest, I feel that some of the arguments given against my posts here seem to be coming from that territory.  As if it's fun and cool to play with comparative mythology all day long, as long as you don't get into that stinky Christian territory.

---- This reminds me. I was looking at kindergartens for my son to go to, (they make you jump through flaming hoops in SF) and one school's library had a shelf of books on Religion. They had just about everything represented, EXCEPT Christianity. As if "we want to embrace diversity but not the dominant one of the land"