(urth) Severian / Christ / Logos / Apocatastasis

Son of Witz sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org
Tue Nov 25 14:44:59 PST 2008

>Let's not overstate the "ballsiness" required for a Christian to
>recognize the mythic elements of Christianity and apply them to
>speculative fiction.  It's been going on for a very long time.

perhaps you're speaking of me dismissively.

I'm not a Christian. I don't believe in Jesus. I don't think he even existed.

In fact I've thought my whole life that the Roman Catholic church is actually a satanic institution and I haven't been exactly disabused of that belief though I rarely voice it.

I think perhaps what's been going on longer than people attaching meaning after the fact to speculative fiction, is that Christians have been writing speculative fiction.

and, um,
wouldn't these myths fall under the umbrella of the term "speculative fiction"
not as a retroactive genre distinction, but as the words actually mean.  These myths MAY be Divine Revelation, or they may be the products of human imagination SPECULATING on the nature of things.

Look folks, if all this is boring and has been covered, feel free to point me too it.  I haven't seen anything that dives too deep into it yet.  I've tried my best to abstract the discussion away from Christianity into what the Christian myths are pointing to, as many of these other classic myths seem to be pointing to.

whatever, I guess it's not that welcome here.