(urth) Rose the Graced not Rose the Chaste

Matthew Keeley matthew.keeley.1 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 19:02:15 PDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 1:45 AM, Dave Tallman <davetallman at msn.com> wrote:

> Second, this is one of many maze/labyrinth references in the New Sun books.
> Another interesting one is the labyrinthine library of Master Ultan, which
> recalls the library ruled by another Borges-like figure in Eco's "The Name
> of the Rose." (This connects roses and mazes once again).

I once started theorizing about references to The Name of the Rose in The
Book of the New Sun, but I'm afraid the parallels between the two books are
just (beautiful) coincidences. The Shadow of the Torturer appeared in 1980,
the same year that The Name of the Rose appeared in Italian. The English
edition didn't appear until 1983.

I guess great minds really do think alike.

-Matt