(urth) Rose the Graced not Rose the Chaste

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Mon Jun 23 19:47:18 PDT 2008

Matthew Keeley wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 1:45 AM, Dave Tallman <davetallman at msn.com
> <mailto:davetallman at msn.com>> wrote:
>

>     Second, this is one of many maze/labyrinth references in the New Sun
>     books. Another interesting one is the labyrinthine library of Master
>     Ultan, which recalls the library ruled by another Borges-like figure
>     in Eco's "The Name of the Rose." (This connects roses and mazes once
>     again).
>

> I once started theorizing about references to The Name of the Rose in
> The Book of the New Sun, but I'm afraid the parallels between the two
> books are just (beautiful) coincidences. The Shadow of the Torturer
> appeared in 1980, the same year that The Name of the Rose appeared in
> Italian. The English edition didn't appear until 1983.
>
> I guess great minds really do think alike.

In the same vein, the realities of early 20th century university
construction dictate a juxtaposition of diverse styles and periods as
well as enclosed and exposed spaces connected via a subterranean maze of
utility tunnels to inspire writers in residence, whether as students
(Wolfe) or professors (Borges).

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.io.com/~jwilson >