(urth) The Apu-Punchau Eclipse

b sharp bsharporflat at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 11 05:35:47 PDT 2008

I feel the need to tout my interpretation of the eclipse again.  By having Severian himself
(subconsciously) cause the eclipse, the multiple problems of a ship-caused eclipse are
eliminated. It addresses Roy C. Lackey's observation that the eclipse ended much more quickly
than a natural eclipse.

I haven't heard any explanation for why the Hiero-dudes on a cosmic mission would bother
parking their vehicle in an exact spot for an exact time period to perform the useless task of
saving Severian's life, when he will be killed again soon and can't actually BE killed.

But I was thinking about it and came up with a couple medium-weak explanations for those
convinced the eclipse was spaceship-caused:

1. The hiero-dudes needed to create the illusion Severian could control the sun because the
legend of Apu Punchau (Head of the Day) was necessary to prepare Urth for the legend of
the Concilliator-New Sun. Though Apu Punchau seems to have been completely forgotten by
humans in Severian's time. Was this eclipse necessary for sungod worship in the future of Urth?

2. Severian had to have the name/title "Apu Punchau" to make the scene with Hildegrin and the
Cumaean work in the future. I'm not sure why that would be necessary.

Are there any other reasons the eclipse is so essential the Hieros had to create it?

If not,  I'll have to consider the idea of Severian causing the eclipse at least as a strong competing
theory to the spaceship theory.  It makes poetic sense to me that Severian's first (in Urth history)
use of Conciliator/New Sun power would be to control the sun's light.

Moreover I am not in the camp that sees Severian as a contemptible dupe for the Hiero-dudes.
Though they surely manipulate him and deny him knowledge at some points, I perceive they have
 a true reverence for him. He isn't just a tool.  Since this reverence couldn't be based on his intellect
or personal morality or his accidental selection as New Sun,  it must be partly based on powers he has
that exceed their own.

-bsharp