(urth) The Apu-Punchau Eclipse

Matthew Groves matthewalangroves at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 17:20:25 PDT 2008

But it is not until the eclipse is *over* that Severian's shadow falls
upon them.  (That is to say, he eclipses the sun, but not in the way
you mean.)  In order for a person to create a proper eclipse -- in
which the darkness is comparable to night or twilight, I suspect he
would have to be outside of Earth's atmosphere, and still fat enough
to create an eclipse at such a distance.  So, *really* fat.  Also,
during the time of the eclipse, Severian is moving around a lot and
gesticulating while acting out his story for the natives.  The
Tzadkiel's ship explanation is infinitely more plausible.