(urth) Sev's common lineage

thalassocrat at nym.hush.com thalassocrat at nym.hush.com
Sat Jun 28 22:25:42 PDT 2008

Sev's lineage is a problem which I'm sure Wolfe intended people to
drive themselves crazy over, and I don't think there's enough info
to get really definitive. But on the flip side, I think he's
inviting us to have fun making up stories, so what the hell ...

I want Sev to be related to Casdoe and Li'l Sev. "Casdoe" is so
similar to "Dorcas", with the syllables reversed. Li'l Sev asks Sev
if he's his uncle, which I don't think makes a lot of sense unless
Li'l Sev does in fact have an Uncle Sev. If I'm right and Fechin is
Dorcas' father, then at the very least the families have known each
other for 70+ years.

Most characters, even if relatively minor, get named. Two
exceptions are Casdoe's father and Dorcas' husband. I don't know
what the first was called, but I think I know the name of the
second: Severian.

Here's how it works.  Say Fechin is Dorcas' father. The ages work
out OK. Base-lining against the time when Sev left the Citadel, we
have Dorcas born 55-60 years previously (she died 40+ years ago,
according to her husband, and I think we can assume that Sev is 17-
18). Rudesind was painted by Fechin as a boy; Rudesind is 70 years
+ a boy's age old, say early 80's. Estimate Fechin as having been
born 85-90 years ago, so he had Dorcas when he was 30-40.

Casdoe's father is a contemporary of Fechin, so he's 85-90 also.
Quite old enough for Dorcas' husband, the old boatman, to in fact
be his son. Eg: say he has the old boatman when he's about 20,
which makes the guy 65-70.

It's a very plausible story: Casdoe's father is close to Fechin,
and obviously neighbors, at least when young. Their kids grow up
together and marry each other.

Casdoe must be a late offspring for her father: she has twins who
seem to be about 6 years old. Say she was born 26 years ago; or
when her father was around 60. Not impossible, of course, but it
does perhaps suggest other things which I won't go into here.

In any case, this ties everybody together, and the guess of
"Severian" as Dorcas' husband's name explains why Li'l Sev asked
Our Sev if he was his uncle. Dorcas' husband is his uncle, on this
theory, and Li'l Sev presumably knows he has an uncle with this
name. Our Sev and Li'l Sev are in fact second cousins.