(urth) Sev's common lineage

Dave Tallman davetallman at msn.com
Sun Jun 29 05:56:59 PDT 2008

Andrew wrote:
> I want Sev to be related to Casdoe and Li'l Sev. "Casdoe" is so
> similar to "Dorcas", with the syllables reversed. Li'l Sev asks Sev
> if he's his uncle, which I don't think makes a lot of sense unless
> Li'l Sev does in fact have an Uncle Sev. If I'm right and Fechin is
> Dorcas' father, then at the very least the families have known each
> other for 70+ years.

Usually Wolfe tries to provide a family resemblance between related
characters. Fechin was "a tall, wild boy with red hair on his hands, his
arms." Dorcas is gold-blonde, with no mention of hairiness. Sev and his
potential sister Merryn aren't hairy either. Dorcas has artistic talent,
but I don't think that's enough of a connection.

You don't deal with b sharp's identification of Fechin with Father Inire
and Rudesind.  One or both of those could be true, given their
monkey-like characteristics. But if so, chances are that the alien could
not have children with human women.

I'm not sold that "Are you my uncle?" means that little Sev knows of an
uncle named Severian. He's just hoping for a relative to take care of
him since he lost his family, in my view.