(urth) the maids of contessa

Dave Tallman davetallman at msn.com
Fri Jun 27 06:04:59 PDT 2008

We can also look with fresh eyes at the lines in the play that predict
the Contessa's fate:

Contessa: If my body held a part of yours -- drops of liquescent tissue
locked in my loins...

Meschia: If it did, you might wander Urth for a time longer, a lost
thing that could never find its way home. But I will not bed you. Do you
think you are more than a corpse? You are less.

In other words, if the Contessa (Catherine) becomes pregnant with the
seed of the New Sun, her life will be prolonged but she will never be
able to return to her home (her own time).