(urth) What's So Great About Ushas?

Paul B pb.stuff at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 15:31:17 PDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 2:57 PM, <brunians at brunians.org> wrote:

> !!

Come on, don't just "!!" me, explain -  I'm genuinely curious.

You are assuming that they are all random. What if you could cause them?

> Or meteor strikes, directing large rocks at planets inhabited by one's
> enemies is well within human capability, which the other is not just yet.

 Sure, why not.  (Though I could've sworn you were referring to an act of
nature - an intentionally caused supernova a year would be a bit much)  But
if it's wilfully caused and results in death, you've got an ethical problem,
and then it is something to get worked up about.

> I also differentiate between murder and homicide: all murder is homicide,
> not all homicide is murder.

Sure, that's why I (jokingly) mentioned manslaughter (less severe than
murder).  The severity may vary, but purposefully causing death of unwilling
souls is uniformly a bad thing.

Throughout this discussion I've tried to establish that it's still a bad
thing, even if done by time-traveling aliens from another dimension, and
even if it's done for a good cause.

I've been surprised by the resistance to this idea.