(urth) What's So Great About Ushas

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes danldo at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 11:54:02 PDT 2008

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 11:34 AM, Jeff Wilson <jwilson at io.com> wrote:

> That was pretty much the discussion in progress just before you arrived. I'm
> not convinced that God has no part in a plan involving the White Fountain;
> as the omnipotent, omniscient creator of the universe, He is responsible for
> its content and as such He kills everyone and destroys everything that
> passeth away. How he implements His will and whether the intermediaries are
> servants, sock puppets, or dupes is what we are sorting out.

Well, there's a further point here: one can claim that *any* action, by
*anyone*, is part of God's Plan. To do this is to create moral anarchy
for humans -- "Yes, I killed six million Jews,  but that was part of God's
plan, so it's okay." No, I don't think so; the only way to theodicize this is
by assuming an extreme Calvinist-predestinarian stance.

The only way to say that the Hiero*s don't share the same moral
burden as humans is to say that they have direct knowledge of
God's will. This is the justification for the Israelites' slaughter of the
natives of Canaan -- "God said so," which trumped "Thou shalt
not murder."

So to justify the Hiero*s' actions, to say that their plan that involved
the slaughter of Urth's billions, was morally OK, means that you have
to present evidence that they have a direct knowledge of the will
of the Increate, which I do not see in the text.

--
Dan'l Danehy-Oakes, writer, trainer, bon vivant
-----

I once absend-mindedly ordered Three Mile Island dressing in a
restaurant and, with great presence of mind, they brought Thousand
Island Dressing and a bottle of chili sauce. -- T. Pratchett