(urth) Abaia and the undines

Jordon Flato jordonflato at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 16:05:16 PST 2008

Hmmmm.

As to why they would want to stop Severian, I can only think that one of the
stated reasons that these massive giants don't just wipe out everyone
themselves is that they are more interested in enslaving humanity, not
destroying it.  Hence, a flood that destroys Humanity pretty much leaves
them where they already were...i.e. with a bunch of fun Undines to play
with, but not much else.  So, I would think they want to capture decaying
humanity for their own purposes.  The fact that decaying humanity is wiped
from the Urth means they having nothing left to do, I suppose.  All the best
toys would be gone!

And I'm not going to weigh in on the Christ thing again....of fuck it, why
not!  If it is not meant to have any resonance with the idea of there being
some sort of Increate involved here, then Wolfe need never have done things
like turn water into wine.  The Hiero's didn't do that.  It doesn't really
make a ton of sense for the 'claw' to do it, but it certainly has some
special resonance vis a vis a certain past messiah, right?  There are lots
of examples like that, which aren't things 'created' by the Undines or the
Hierdules, but are things that happen to Sev on his journey.  Are these all
red herrings by Wolfe to throw us off the course?  Could be.  That would be
a poor interpretation in my book, but then again, it's our book, not my
book, isn't it!