(urth) Abaia and the undines

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Fri Dec 5 15:12:31 PST 2008

I don't recall reading anything about the origin of Abaia and the
undines. Does anyone "know" or care to guess? IIRC, Baldanders seems to
think they evolved for a watery future, which may be true.

A related question is why they are necessarily or assumed to be evil.
I've been moving away from a perverted-Christ interpretation (though
that aspect can never be dismissed) since that discussion began (for
example, I see no reason to assume that the Hierogrammates/Hierodules
really work for the Increate at all, or do his bidding, or that the
Increate caused the Flood any more than God causes the deaths of puppies).

The only straw I have to clutch at is that they are basically water
elementals. In the Seven Worlds cosmology, things are just the way they
are, as in folklore. So, for example, don't trust the wood fairies, but
run from the water fairies, and stay away from giants, etc. Just as
fairies have their own plans that don't really involve us (see John
Crowley's Little, Big), the Hieros do what they do without much interest
in human morality, and the undines even  less so.

Several months ago, there was a discussion about what the New Sun would
do to the undines. Clearly they are alive and well on Ushas, whether
Abais himself survived or not. But they would have vanished utterly in
Master Ash's timeline except for the small ones who could escape (like
Idas).

So why would they oppose Severian at all? Or was it rather the
Commonwealth they opposed, perhaps as the heirs of Typhon and the first
empire? You'd think thet'd want the New Sun to come and bring the Clean
Slate with lots of water on the side.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 081204-0, 12/04/2008
Tested on: 12/5/2008 6:12:33 PM