(urth) AEG clones

Roy C. Lackey rclackey at stic.net
Fri Dec 19 12:55:42 PST 2008

Dave Tallman quoted and wrote:
> > Yeah, but I'm not sure what. Maybe this is a clue: Vince claims to be
6'4";
> > Reis is 6'2". I can't recall if Gil is said to be slightly taller than
Gid,
> > but Klauser thought the "Casey girl" was about a half inch taller than
the
> > aged Cassie. (295) That's an odd thing for a man who saw the glamourized
> > Cassie only on vid to say. But there might be a pattern there.
> >
> So maybe Vince is a clone or temporal double of Reis, using a glamour to
> appear different? That could be it. And if so that makes Norma Peiper
> the real ex-wife of Reis or his equivalent, just as I suspected. "I used
> to be married to the volcano god." (p. 176)

I was thinking that people who have been artificially enhanced in some way,
like Cassie, are made to appear literally larger than life, so to speak. The
height comparisons pop up too often to be anything but deliberate. There is
another that I forgot, the chauffeur Carlos. "He looked taller and darker
than the uniformed man she remembered seeing when she had looked down at the
white limousine." (116)

I'm still not convinced about Norma. For one thing, the rich woman Sharon
talked about was said to be devoted to her son. I have a hard time believing
that a rich woman devoted to her child would spend time slumming as an
actress in a second-rate theater production like _The Red Spot_. A rich
ex-wife could have bought her own show on Broadway and starred in it if she
had the acting bug. Just before Norma was killed, she seemed to be concerned
that she might be replaced in the proposed expanded production of Reis'
play, and wanted Cassie to use her clout to save her job. If she were rich,
all she had to do was slip greedy India enough money and her job would be
secure. Plus, I have doubts about any woman, particularly a rich woman,
wanting to play second-fiddle to another woman in a play produced by her ex,
especially when the ex is obviously infatuated with the star. Ain't natural.

-Roy