(urth) AEG clones

John Watkins john.watkins04 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 13:05:33 PST 2008

On 12/19/08, Roy C. Lackey <rclackey at stic.net> wrote:

> I'm still not convinced about Norma. For one thing, the rich woman Sharon
> talked about was said to be devoted to her son. I have a hard time believing
> that a rich woman devoted to her child would spend time slumming as an
> actress in a second-rate theater production like _The Red Spot_. A rich
> ex-wife could have bought her own show on Broadway and starred in it if she
> had the acting bug. Just before Norma was killed, she seemed to be concerned
> that she might be replaced in the proposed expanded production of Reis'
> play, and wanted Cassie to use her clout to save her job. If she were rich,
> all she had to do was slip greedy India enough money and her job would be
> secure. Plus, I have doubts about any woman, particularly a rich woman,
> wanting to play second-fiddle to another woman in a play produced by her ex,
> especially when the ex is obviously infatuated with the star. Ain't natural.
>
> -Roy

This is a pretty convincing argument, IMHO.  I think maybe we're
looking at a parallel rather than an identity.  Reis has used the
Vincent/Norma relationship to mirror his relationship with his
ex-wife.

But why?  I think this comes back to the bigger question--what's the
purpose of Dating the Volcano God?